wilderness first aid -WAFA
wilderness first aid - wafa 5 day course
Our courses are delivered in an outdoor setting focussing on scenarios in a friendly environment with simple approaches to wilderness medicine and first aid.
WAFA is a 5 day advanced course with night scenarios. Wilderness first aid training suitable for improvised and adaptive approaches to emergency situations. Ideal for expedition guides, ski patrol and anyone want to take their wilderness first knowledge to the next level.
We split our classroom time with tons of scenarios, labs and a night rescue simulation.
We emphasise hands-on scenarios and practice, so come ready for a great day full of activity and learning outside! You are guaranteed to learn a lot and have a great time!
Skills and techniques according to practice guidelines established by the Wilderness Medical Society as outlined in the Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines.
Contact us for a closed course for your group. We deliver courses in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
If you are interested in our 2-day wilderness first aid course
- Patient Assessment System (PAS) /Scene Survey
- PAS/Primary Survey
- Specific exploration of the Circulatory System
- Hands-on practice for checking for a pulse, controlling bleeding, CPR
- Specific exploration of Respiratory System
- Hands-on practice establishing an airway/airway management
- Specific exploration of Nervous System
- Evaluating Level of Consciousness and Maintaining
- Spine stability
- Basic Life Support Lab / AED’s / CPR testing
- Trauma Scenarios (Nervous System injuries/Increased
ICP, Concussion, Head wounds, Respiratory injuries/
Respiratory distress, Circulatory Injuries/ Volume
- Stable and Unstable Musculoskeletal Injuries
- 1:1 Splinting Lab
- Dislocations Lab
- Wounds, Infections, Burns
- Wounds Lab/ Includes irrigation, punctured objects, and fish hook removal
- Spine Assessment and Lab
- Spine Management Lab/ Moving spine injured patients, back-boarding, litters
- Patient Assessment System (PAS) Part 2
- Hands-on field exercises/ Two on One Patient
- Environmental Mini Scenarios
- Heat Problems (Heat Stroke, Heat Exhaustion, Electrolyte Sickness, Sunburn)
- Hypothermia Lab
- Toxins, Bites and Stings
- Mini-Medical Scenarios (Gastrointestinal problems, Genitourinary System, Diabetes, Asthma, Heart problems, Stroke)
- Removal of tricky PPE/ equipment (ski boots, kayak, helmets)
- MCI/ group scenarios
- Wilderness First Aid Kits
Simon Hansen is our Wilderness First Aid instructor.
He is educated through SRI International and has taught courses since 2017. He teaches both WFA and WAFA courses.
He has a pedagogical education degree from Liverpool John Moores University in England.
When Simon is not teaching Wilderness First Aid and Rescue 3 courses, he runs one of Norway`s largest activity centers.